[3830] NAQP RTTY KU5B(@NX5M) M/2 LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sat Jul 21 23:08:02 PDT 2012

                    North American QSO Party, RTTY - July

Call: KU5B
Operator(s): KU5B, NX5M, N5XJ, KJ5T
Station: NX5M

Class: M/2 LP
QTH: TX

Total: 1141   225  Total Score = 256,500

Club:

Team:

Comments:

Back in January KU5B said; “I am going to set up RTTY on station four”.  I
was like “go for it tiger”.  As time went by suddenly there were two
stations set up for RTTY.  OK, so now we have two radios to use so perhaps we
will do our first RTTY contest since the station construction began.  Twelve
years later
it happened as we entered, for the first time, in the NAQP RTTY contest.
Obviously the antenna and band switching had to be totally overhauled and it
took some time....although temporary just for this contest and not
optimum.....it worked.
The entire team was basically new to operating this contest mode but I think we
caught on pretty quick.  We spent almost the whole time picking at eachother
which is something that we do not get a chance to do in any other
contest mode so that made it even more fun.
As I sit here typing this, the contest is not over.  KU5B and I had to head on
out and start disconnecting equipment as we have thunderstorms knocking on our
door to the north and northeast and still moving in this direction.  Still
hoping they fall apart before they get here and will allow us to finish the
last 30 minutes of the contest.
80 is quite noisy but N5XJ is sitting there working through it with great
patience know full well that the noise is causing a few qso to not make it into
the log.  KJ5T is finishing up 40 but spending more time pushing buttons on his
phone than buttons on the computer.
Coming into this we did not know what to expect.  How many qsos and mults
should we shoot for?  We set a reasonable goal of 1000 qsos and 175 mults.  We
exceeded both of those, especially the mult total, therefore we met our
objective and then some.
Personally, I do not think I could dial around all that much and work people.
I commend those who do and hand out all the qsos to the rest of us.
See you all in the August NAQP's.  CW weekend is somewhat questionable but SSB
weekend is a given.

73,
NX5M, KJ5T, KU5B, N5XJ