[3830] CQWW VHF W9SZ Hilltopper QRP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Jul 22 14:50:02 PDT 2012

                    CQ Worldwide VHF Contest

Call: W9SZ
Operator(s): W9SZ
Station: W9SZ

Class: Hilltopper QRP
QTH: Illinois

    6:  52     33
    2:  14     11
-------------------
Total:  66     44  Total Score = 3,520

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

There was some 2 meter tropo just before the contest started. It died
immediately when the contest started. Wouldn't you know it?

But 6 meters was open to the southwest and west for almost the entire time I
operated. It was great fun. I only wish there had been more activity on 2
meters. I guess everyone was on 6.

Operating in the Hilltopper category is always a challenge and a gamble about
band conditions. Realistically there are about 18 or 20 hours of useful time to
choose from, but if you pick the wrong time period you might not have any
propagation. I think I chose a good time period this year starting at contest
start. This was my highest score ever as a Hilltopper in this contest.