[3830] CQWW VHF K1HTV SOAB HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Jul 22 19:32:07 PDT 2012

                    CQ Worldwide VHF Contest

Call: K1HTV
Operator(s): K1HTV
Station: K1HTV

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: VA

Total:  248    86  Total Score = 22,962

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Rig : 6M - K3 & SS amp (KW)
       2M - IC706MK-IIG & 4X150A amp (200W)

Antennas : 6M - 7el 32' boom LFA at 77 ft.
           2M - 12el FO12 at 82 ft

Soapbox :
Spent most of my time on 6M. This was the first test of the new solid state
(CH2 TV) high power amplifier. It performed very well at the KW output level.
The contest started with about 1-1/2 hours of Es, then just locals until I quit
at 0120Z. Got back on at 1330Z Sunday, working a few New England stations on
tropo. The Es started around 1430Z and lasted until around 1800Z. Worked a few
VE & W9 stations via Es but most of the big signals came from stations in
southern W4 & W5 land. Two Cuban stations called as did PVRC member Kyle,
VP9/WA4PGM who was on his honeymoon in Bermuda. When the Es died down I took a
45 minute break and missed an opening to 6V7SIX. As far as I can tell, that was
the only DX station on the other side of the Atlantic that worked into the
States (by K1TOL & N3DB) during the contest.

The skip was no where as good as it was in the ARRL June VHF Contest where we
worked 249 grids on 6 Meters at K8GP, but Es conditions are expected to be
better in June than July.

73,
Rich - K1HTV