[3830] CQWW VHF K1TEO SOAB HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Jul 23 08:52:25 PDT 2012

                    CQ Worldwide VHF Contest

Call: K1TEO
Operator(s): K1TEO
Station: K1TEO

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: FN31/CT

Total:  565   146  Total Score = 111,836

Club: North East Weak Signal Group

Comments:

I was looking forward to the contest and like everyone else, hoping that 6
Meters would be open. It was a real struggle with only 4 E-skip QSO's on
Saturday. Sunday was better as the band opened up around 1400z and stayed open
for a couple of hours to the Gulf Coast between Texas and Alabama. It was open
to the same area weakly on and off for the early part of the afternoon but not
much more was worked on E-skip.

2M activity as usual was so-so though there was some enhancment late at night
and into the morning. The APRS map was really lit up to my west throughout the
evening and I could hear stations 200 miles to my  west doing very well. I was
hoping that it would reach CT at some point. Around 0200z N8ZM in EN80 was
worked at around 550 miles 59+. Not much else was heard until 0300z when EM89
and EM79 were worked. Based on 'ZM's signal (still over s9 at 1530z) there was
ongoing enhancement until late Sunday morning to my west but very little was
worked. I did add EM77, EN71 and EN51 on Sunday morning, all of which are
beyond my normal range. The band was also enhanced down the coast Sunday
morning with the K4MHZ/b in Cape Hatteras over s9, but nothing was worked
beyond the usual range.

I didn't work many rovers this time but did enjoy working VE3CRU, N3XUD and
N2SLN. Tnx for heading out guys!

I like that you can use Ping Jockey to work scatter even though I never used
it. I opted for sleep this time around and only ended up with 4 wsjt qso's. I
also had a chance to go out to dinner with my family Saturday evening (I am
amazed the band didn't open then, hi!) which was nice.

Tnx for the QSO's.

73, Jeff