[3830] CQWW VHF NR5M SOAB HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Jul 23 12:04:20 PDT 2012

                    CQ Worldwide VHF Contest

Call: NR5M
Operator(s): NR5M
Station: NR5M

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Hempstead, Texas

    6:  399   142
Total:  478   204  Total Score = 113,628

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Nice opening on 6m to start the contest.  First hour 126, second was 121, third
dropped to 53.  That was when I made my first big mistake. Went to 2m eme in
4th hour and made only 13 Q's during that hour(2 on eme).  I figure this lost
me around 30 Q's as well as some western grids. Spent another 35 minutes on 2
eme in the next hour and netted only one Q.  When I got back on 6 meters I
netted 11 Q's in 25 minutes.  I figure this cost me another 15-20 Q's(plus
several grids).

Next time I promise to stay on 6 meters as long as the band is open.  I KNOW
this, but in my haste to see if the work I'd done to the eme station paid off,
I went there too early and at the wrong time.  Lesson learned.

The next day I caught just a little bit of sporatic E to the northeast and
southeast but NOTHING like Saturday.

My eme efforts, however, paid off when I worked 40 (for 39 grids).  I kept
checking back on 6 but was really just wasting valuable moon-time on Sunday
doing so.

The net result was that I learned some valuable lessons in VHF contesting and
figured out ways to reconfigure the station for better results next year.

Thanks to all for the Q's,

George NR5M