[3830] CQWW VHF N1PRW Hilltopper QRP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Jul 23 13:13:42 PDT 2012

                    CQ Worldwide VHF Contest

Call: N1PRW
Operator(s): N1PRW
Station: N1PRW

Class: Hilltopper QRP
QTH: EMA

    6:  30      8
    2:  12      5
-------------------
Total:  54     13  Total Score = 702

Portable QRP operation from the summit of Mount Wachusett in Central
Massachusetts on Sunday afternoon. Weather was clear, dry and warm.

Station Equipment:
- Yaesu FT-817ND
- Cushcraft A148-3S 2m Yagi antenna
- 1/2 wavelength 6m dipole, homemade
- Aluminum tripod that extends to 8' height
- 12V gel-cell battery

Power: 5 Watts

Equipment worked well. Different antennas were used in this contest than in the
June VHF.

A new 12V gel-cell battery delivered constantly good power while transmitting.

I constructed a new portable 6m dipole from 3/16" aluminum stock, Delrin, and
PVC. It worked flawlessly and appeared to have a nearly 1:1 SWR. It is rugged,
and easy to transport and assemble. What a difference compared to my lousy old
wire.

The Cushcraft 2m Yagi is the same one I've had for almost 20 years and is
reliable. It's a classic.

The Mount Wachusett summit was busy with hikers and visitors, so my portable
station drew visitors with questions which was fun. However, it was distracting
getting interrupted during QSOs and having to ask for repeated calls and grids.

I enjoyed this contest and had good QSOs. I wish the band conditions had been
better and that I had allowed more time for participation. The station
equipment is now nearly perfect for portable QRP, especially when using the Elk
2m/440 instead of the Yagi. I have design improvements in mind for the dipole to
make it more compact to transport.

73, Alex N1PRW

Photos of the station, antennas, and of the Mount Wachusett summit and recent
construction:
http://shawsheen.com/2012/cqww-vhf/