[3830] ARRL June VHF N0HF Single Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Jun 11 18:01:52 PDT 2012

                    ARRL June VHF QSO Party

Call: N0HF
Operator(s): N0HF
Station: N0HF

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Boulder, CO

  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  208    94  Total Score = 19,552

Club: Grand Mesa Contesters of Colorado

Comments:

60 CW QSO's included in the total. Had to forgo more operating time this year
but still had alot of fun with the new amp and remarkable E openings, the best
of which was to W8/W9 on Sunday afternoon, even the QRP stations were strong. I
worked a 25 or so FN grids. Only DX was XE2X.

Saturday morning I helped George W1XE with some quick tower work, got a bolt
installed through a mast coupler (clam shell as he calls it) since the winds
over Memorial day sheared off the original 5" grade 8 bolt plus a bunch of
smaller ones. QRV with directional yagis well before noon!

I then picked up a TE Systems solid state amp at the USPS in Boulder that came
in, took it home and was on the air by 1 pm. 375W on the magic band. That thing
draws 54A at 13.8V DC. Good thing I had a car battery handy. Fused the heck out
of the power chain and had no troubles all weekend. The built-in pre-amp worked
out well too.

Lastly, the High Park Fire distracted me since Pete W0RTT lives in Bellevue at
the top of Rist Canyon. I have no idea if his home is ok or if he's even living
there anymore. My prayers and thoughts are with him and everyone else affected.
It's a sobering event.

'73 Dan

Thanks for all the Q's.