[3830] ARRL June VHF K9AKS/R Limited Rover LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Tue Jun 12 08:39:04 PDT 2012

                    ARRL June VHF QSO Party

Call: K9AKS/R
Operator(s): K9AKS
Station: K9AKS/R

Class: Limited Rover LP
QTH: Nebraska
Operating Time (hrs):

    6:  350   117
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  350   117  Total Score = 40,950

Instead of my usual QRP portable operation, I decided to do something different
this yearâ€"limited rover using six meters only. I made the trek out to central
Nebraska to activate some grids that are needed by some. Perhaps I will be
disqualified as an entrant in the limited rover category because a second op
came along and played a big roleâ€"that would be Murphy.

My plan was to set up the 5 element beam on a fifteen-foot mast at sites in
each of about five different grids.  To start I found a great site in DN90. The
south wind was very strong, but I managed to raise the antenna and control it
reasonably well.  The band was dead for the first two hours, so after only two
QSOs, I moved on.  In DN91 I found a good site with a good view to the east and
stayed there Saturday evening. Of course the band was open mostly to the west,
but I managed about 165 QSOs in 65 grids while battling the wind to hold the
beam using the Armstrong method.  Sunday morning I went on to DN92, where the
wind had shifted to the north and was so strong I could not raise the antenna
(not to mention control it). So I operated using the quarter-wave whip on the
car. Without the beam, it was a struggle most of the timeâ€"lots of S/P and
repeats, just like running QRP (which I hoped to avoid)!  It was the same story
Sunday evening in EN01â€"incredible wind, no beam.

The openings were great on Sunday morning and evening, to both the west and
southeast, but without the beam I could not take full advantage of them. Thanks
to those who pulled me out of the mud. Nonetheless, I enjoyed the trip,
especially roaming the Sand Hills of Nebraskaâ€"some spectacular scenery even
with the wicked wind.

73, Curt k9aks