[3830] TBDC AB1OD Single Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Jun 17 05:29:46 PDT 2012

                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge - Summer

Call: AB1OD
Operator(s): AB1OD
Station: AB1OD

Class: Single Op LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  QSOs = 31  Total Score = 117

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

First workout of the new "North Carolina Windom" (160m CW, at various heights
wound among trees along the back property line).   All through last winter and
spring, I had wanted to put up something that would work better, and hopefully
be less susceptible to storm damage, than the inverted L I put up last
summer...and then again repeatedly after the October snowstorm as broken limbs
made their way to the ground.

Modeling suggested that the new antenna would be primarily a cloud warmer, and
that it wouldn't be any worse for top band DX.

I don't know if it was relatively good conditions or the average quality of
receive antennas being better for Summer Stew folks than Winter Stew
participants, but my average score per Q was higher last night than it was
during Winter Stew.  Combine that with having worked RI1ANF on topband this
past week, and I am really looking forward to winter, to see how the antenna
plays when there is more activity on the band.

Conditions weren't horrible Saturday evening, some QSB, moderate noise, no
static crashes.  Woke up around 3-330am local, and decided to take another
listen; noise floor was higher, and had a few static crashes.  Only heard three
stations on at that hour, two of which I could work.