[3830] TBDC K5OAI Single Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Jun 17 08:06:42 PDT 2012

                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge - Summer

Call: K5OAI
Operator(s): K5OAI
Station: K5OAI

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: San Angelo, TX
Operating Time (hrs): 6hr

Total:  QSOs = 12  Total Score = 36

Sure was a noisy night. I had to unplug for a while about 1am local.
I was wondered why the crashes were so loud, I had just been played with the
K3's AGC settings, when I looked and there was a big thunderstorm about 5-10mi
away and it had been there for at least 45 min. I never heard the
thunderboomers with the headphones on.
oops.... glad the Lord was taking care of idiots last night, hi hi.

Saturday afternoon I threw together a small 12' circumference 2 turn loop out
of 5/8" hardline, using only the outer shield, and with no matching or
amplification. Set it up about 2' off the floor in the radio room of my 2 room
ground floor apartment. Turning it by hand, it gave me my first opportunity to
try out the K3 in diversity mode. Out of my 12 contacts I'd say it helped with
at least half of them. I could tell the pattern was skewed, but mainly I used
it to throw a null in the direction of the thunderstorms. For the winter Stew,
I'll have to work on some matching and amplification, maybe get the pattern a
bit more balanced.

I ended up with 12 contacts for the whole night not to bad for
6w ERP from a 7' tall Hi-Q Screwdriver @ 20' w/16 radials ea 13' long.

Out of the 12 contacts, 2 were ~400km,  2 were ~600km, 4 were ~1100km, 1 was
~1700km, and 3 were over 2000km.

I basically worked every one I could hear, with the exception of
a few (4-5) that I heard answering other folks cq's,
but never heard them anywhere calling cq themselves.

All Q's were S&P, except for the last 2 contacts, were made by calling cq on
1.820 (one was ~600km and one was ~1000km) and came @ around 10:30z and 10:45z.
Then I went to the kitchen for coffee and when I came back @ 11:15z the band had
completely died
(that's only 3 min. after twilight and 21 min. before sunrise)

Had a great time, as always, with all the Stew Perry events. a big thanks to
all who worked so hard to dig me out of all the noise!