[3830] ARRLDX SSB W6UX SOAB LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Mar 4 16:27:12 PST 2012

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: W6UX
Operator(s): W6UX
Station: W6UX

Class: SOAB LP
QTH:

Total:  469   148  Total Score = 208,236

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

Rig: Elecraft K3
Power: 100w
Antenna: Traffie Hex Beam @ 40'(12m)
Logger: N1MM

My goal was 1,000 QSOs, but I very quickly realized the solar conditions were
not going to support my 100 watt station enough to run a frequency.  So, most
of my 28 hours was spent in S&P mode.  I did have a few short runs Friday
working Japan on 15m.  I went QRT @ 10PM as there was little activity left to
hear on 20m or 15m.  Saturday was quite productive, and I worked from 8AM to
8AM.  Europe was not heard well at all on any band, but I did fill in most of
the JA's I had worked Friday on 10 and 15.  Sunday I was on  at 4:30AM, but
didn't work anything until close to 6AM.  Worked lots of EU, SA (especially PYs
and LUs), and Caribbean stations all day; all bands were open everywhere it
seemed in the morning, with EU stations gone by 11AM.

This contest really tested my K3's audio filters.  I was able to work weak EU
stations (we're talking 52 at best) with very good results using the SHIFT and
WIDTH controls to move adjacent signals out of the way.  I'm surprised my 100
watt signals were received, given how weak their 1kW stations sounded.

100 watt stations in the Caribbean and SA were VERY loud here.  HK3C wins
loudest signal award for 100 watt station.  I think he had one of the biggest
pile ups around.

Sadly, few AF stations to be heard; no way I'd break the pileup for the V51.
Also missing were VKs and ZLs.  I worked a few, and we were strong both
directions, but I just never found many to work.

Worked VP9I easily once I found them; great signals for just 100w!

All in all, a fun weekend, except for what seemed like an excessive amount of
tuning/jamming near the pileups.

73!
Jeff, W6UX