[3830] ARRLDX SSB K7IA SO Unlimited HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Mar 4 18:32:15 PST 2012

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: K7IA
Operator(s): K7IA
Station: K7IA

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: NM
Operating Time (hrs): 9:23

Total:  399   193  Total Score = 231,021

Since I'm not much of an SSB operator, I had no plans to work the event at all.
But with no other game in town, I changed my mind an hour before event start in
the hope that immersion and experience would lead to a better attitude about
SSB, etc.  With only a limited amount of time to devote to it, I decided to
give Telnet assistance a go.  It was fun to cherry pick the mults and, unlike
the CW counterpart, actually have a good idea of who was where on the bandmap.

I learned a bit more about how to squeeze some K3 features to make crowded SSB
conditions reveal more copyable signals, too.  I could sit in the chair for as
long as an hour at a time without overloading the synapses.

Far more SSB ops than CW or RTTY ops identify themselves frequently enough that
very few "your call?" requests were heard.  Good thing, too, because more than a
few Telnet spots were not just a little incorrect!

I'm beginning to think it's time to invest in a better quality boom mic and
become more serious about SSB...

Many thanks for the fun!

73, dan k7ia