[3830] ARRLDX SSB N1BA M/S HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Mar 4 18:37:03 PST 2012

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: N1BA
Operator(s): N1BA K4OV
Station: N1BA

Class: M/S HP
QTH: NH

Total: 2401   405  Total Score = 2,912,355

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

SOAPBOX: Our score this year fell a little of short of last year’s, despite
our
lofty goal of breaking 3,000 Q’s We allowed two days to build a new
80m 2 element quad, but we were slowed down a bit due to the weather -
after almost 5 months of no snowfall, the N1BA QTH got treated to 8
inches of snow and a very cold day on Thursday before the contest.
Even with two tower climbs by Lee N1BA, we couldn’t quite get the quad
ready for show time. K40V Rob brought a backup TS-850s since one of
N1BA’s died the week before. Conditions were remarkably different
great start Friday night and through Saturday morning we were about
150 Q’s ahead of last year’s log, but then after four consecutive
hours of Q totals in the teens Saturday night, we both decided that
low band conditions were so discouraging that we both took long sleep
breaks. When we woke up we still couldn’t break 10 an hour and that’s
when we were trying to remember why we love contesting so much. Things
and a 130 hour that got us back on track. Next year we hope to have
the 80m quad up, as well as full Multi-2 capability to take advantage
of our 6 band changes per hour when operating as a Multi-single. Thank
you to everyone that worked N1BA this weekend.  Lee, N1BA, Rob K4OV