[3830] ARRLDX SSB G6PZ(IZ1LBG) SO Unlimited HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Mar 5 09:57:43 PST 2012

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: G6PZ
Operator(s): IZ1LBG
Station: G6PZ

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: Somerset

  160:   10     9
   20: 1319    61
   15: 1354    58
Total: 3856   243  Total Score = 2,811,024

First a big thanks to Paul G6PZ for let me use his station. I have been in the
station just one time before but when I phone Paul for ask if I could come for
the contest he said me that was ok. Paul’s station is really amazing and I
hope to operate there also in the future!

When I arrived on Friday late afternoon and there were no work to do so I just
test how the band sound like. At the end almost 200 stations were worked in the
pre-contest activity as M/IZ1LBG on 15 20 and 40m.

As many have wrote the condition were not so good but we have better
propagation compare to other part of Europe.

The first night finish with just 638 QSO, nice run on 40m but I spend  lot of
time trying to work big MM station on 160m without any result. After a short
nap I found 20m quite open and after 2 hour also 15m were open. the rate was
not so high but constant for hours. When I moved on 20m the band was really
open with some good west coast  pile up and 2 hours with rate more than 200
(best hour 255 QSO). I tried to stay on 20m as more as possible but band close
very quickly after 22z. The second night was really disappointing no chance for
I good run on 40m, spend a lot of time on 80m compare to the other eu station.
160m condition again not good at all W3LPL was the stronger on the band there
but it takes 5 min to work it (tnx the operator for the patience). The
condition on 20m the second morning where really terrible just 53 QSO the first
2 hour. I think I were lucky and move on 10m at the right time and managed to
work some station also on 10m, many station from FL and the big contest station
from the east coast. I knew that I were low on mult so I tried to stay a lot on
10m also if rate was not good as 15m one. Nice to be called there from K0RF
then only signal that I heard from central US on 10m. Then the 15m opening was
really good: work many station from west coast and band stay open until almost
21z. Then again a nica run on 20m band but again band close quickly after
22.30z. Good running on 40m the last 30 min of the contest (with N9RV from MT
new mult just few minutes before the end of the contest)...

Nice to see that there were some station posting real time result on
cqcontest.ru, I hope that in the future always more station will post the
result there. My compliment to LX7I and CR6K and E7DX for their result

A mention to the software used: QARTest. It takes really just 2 minutes to
install and made it work properly.

Filippo IZ1LBG