[3830] ARRLDX SSB N8II SOSB/10 HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Tue Mar 6 05:57:16 PST 2012

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: SOSB/10 HP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:    0     0
   80:    1     1
   40:    2     2
Total:  295    69  Total Score = 61,065

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I should have known, welcome to the Caribbean/Cebtral America/South America QSO
party. Deesturbed condx and realtively low SFI. Even 15 was just coming to life
Sunday into EU at 1330Z 1 hr 45 min after sunrise. The guys down south had to
love it. On a positive note, activity from SA was pretty good, not CQWW levels,
but quite respectable. Activity from EU day two was considerably better than day
one as the serious guys scrambled to work what they could on scatter or the
short direct opening to the Mediterranean. The first day, the only direct path
EU signals were from CS2C, CR6K, GW9T, and GW4BLE. Even EH8R and CT9 were quite
marginal. The second day, featured more strugglers with ON7GB taking the prize
for best scatter signal with DL6FBL not far behind. As fate would have it, I
missed some of the best EU time in the contest, just past 16Z it seemed as
though the scatter EU signals were fading, so I more or less gave up on much
happening and for one reason or another didn't make it back until 17Z when a
few I's, EA's, CT's, F's and southern G's were actually fairly loud. All
weekend, I just wasn't loud enough to get even a small nvolume of CQ answers
from EU and the same held true for the "run", I strung together about 4 Q's at
the peak of rate. Highlight was poaching EI/W5GN for last EU QSO and a mult
while he was calling someone who couldn't hear him. Propagation was very
selective most of the time. Sunday afternoon, the skip zone to the south kept
changing, even HK/TI/PZ were weak here at times. KP2/KP4 were in and out.
Nabbed loud CO8 near sunset for biggest surprise, but struggled mightily to
work VP5H on scatter earlier. The only Asians worked worked 5B4AIF, and JA3YBK
+ JA7OWD on scatter path; OWD peaked at 225 degrees around 0030Z the first
night. KG6DX in the noise was worked peaking due west.

Thanks for the Q's, odds are next year will have to be better.