[3830] ARRLDX SSB N1UR SOAB LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Wed Mar 7 05:47:45 PST 2012

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: N1UR
Operator(s): N1UR
Station: N1UR

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: VT

Total: 2045   365  Total Score = 2,232,003

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Well, as all have said, that was NOT the contest of last year.  And
disappointing
to think that it was one of the "possible" high value years of which there are

probably 2 or 3 left for this contest in this cycle.  I could tell going in
that
the K index and auroral placement was going to be a killer.  The only thing
that
makes that "okay" is if there is good action on 10 and 15 that its trading the

low for the high.  But when you severely damage the low and don't deliver on
the
high, its game over.  Only a couple of EU stations worked on 10M.  A dozen or
 so more heard but no joy.

I do not think I have quite experienced a contest with such an auroral blanket

as this one.  I felt like I had moved to zone 2 or KL or something.  Pretty
much
an "in your face shut off" from 04Z - 13Z on Sunday.  That's why I only put in
41 hours.  Yet at other times, I had really good rate, including a couple of
nice
40M runs (which is a rare pleasure for LP SSB contests) and, at times, great
rate
on 15 and 20M (saw 300 briefly on the 10 Q peak meter and 200+ a number of
times.  160 was a virtual bust most of the time.  80 was at best mediocure and
at times closed down when it should be even runnable from W1.

All in all, considering the amount of time that there was workable prop, I am
pretty happy with the Qs,  Mults are down.  Low 160 and 80 and no make-up on
10.

I really do like this contest.

See you in WPX SSB as NV1N.

73