[3830] Commonwealth ZL3IO Open-24 HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Tue Mar 13 15:48:34 PDT 2012

                    RSGB Commonwealth Contest, CW

Call: ZL3IO
Operator(s): ZL3IO
Station: ZL3IO

Class: Open-24 HP
QTH: Haumoana

Total:  310  Total Score = 4,610

With all the CME's and flares before and during the weekend locations far north
and far south were the wrong places to be.

Here in NZ we had similar problems like the stations in Canada. High noise
level, black outs even during inter-ZL QSOs, fading signals. 10m was never
open. I made 13 QSOs on 10m with VK & ZL only. Not a single VE that I got to
QSY to 10 was heard. Not even talking about G's. During the ARRL the weekend
before I made about 150 VE's on 10m only. I did not work a single African
station this year. At least a few Caribeans came through on 20/40m. 9H3ET had a
nice signal here for 100W + vertical on all 3 bands we worked. It is all about
location, hey!
All in all it was hard work to stay on the station at those conditions...

Thanks for the contacts,
73 Holger, ZL3IO

K3 + 500W
Hexbeam @ 10m