[3830] Rus DX K0DQ(@WW1WW) SO CW HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Mar 18 06:29:19 PDT 2012

                    Russian DX Contest

Call: K0DQ
Operator(s): K0DQ
Station: WW1WW

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: NEW HAMPSHIRE, USA

  160:     6    0         4         0
   80:   137    0        41         8
   40:   564    0        72        40
   20:   622    0        72        54
   15:   138    0        44         1
   10:    15    0        11         0
Total:  1482    0       244       103  Total Score = 2,705,559

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Wow!  My first walk on the Dark Side using spotting.  So that's what everyone is
talking about!  Big game hunting with an elephant gun, and the targets are all
in a pen.

Lousy conditions.  Interesting contest framework.  Thanks to Bud, AA3B, and
Chas, K3WW, for pre-contest advice.  Bud could market his contest notes.
Randy, K5ZD, helped me get a mental picture when he said, "Remember, all the
Europeans have their beams pointed in the opposite direction from you!"

Obviously I was watching AA3B. Every time we worked we were close.  Bud was
about 40 Q's ahead around 0600Z which surprised me since I thought I'd had a
decent run on 40, which is this station's strongest point.  Then somehow I was
up by 9 Q's on our last comparison.  The serial numbers do make it fun.

BATTLESHIP NEW HAMPSHIRE played well and lived up to its name.  Truly amazing
piece of work with lots of big guns.  Only problem was the computers.  This was
a last minute decision and I arrived at Woody's (WW1WW) Friday night hoping to
do a quick setup and get some sleep.  In the event i was up until 0200 getting
computers straightened out.  Thanks to Bob, N6TV, for his trademark advice and
help.  So, what was supposed to be a one day contest had the sleep pattern of a
48 hour contest.

Good fun.  Thanks to all for the QSOs and, especially, to Woody.

Cheers,

Scott, K0DQ @ WW1WW