[3830] Rus DX VE6TL SO Mixed HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Mar 18 08:23:51 PDT 2012

                    Russian DX Contest

Call: VE6TL
Operator(s): VE6TL
Station: VE6TL

Class: SO Mixed HP
QTH: Calgary

   40:   18      1        5        1
   20:   33     22       13        2
   15:    4      0       21        3
Total:   55     23       18        6  Total Score = 6,696

Club: ALBERTA CLIPPERS

Comments:

The contest began here at 6AM local time and I was ready.  After scanning the
bands, I was quickly reminded that I was living on Mars and that propagation
between Earth and Mars was being impeded by an interplanetary iron curtain.  At
first, I struggled on 40m, where using subspace frequencies, I managed one
Russian contact.  Two hours later, on 20m, I began to hear what sounded like
earth generated noise!  An hour after that, I could actually make out some
signals from the Russian DX contest, but try as I may, even the strongest and
biggest stations couldn't hear my weak 400W.  Eventually I got through to two
more Russian stations and a few others in Europe, plus Hawaii and Australia.
After 4.5 hours and only 78 QSOs, I realized that propagation would not improve
and threw in the Martian towel.  One day we Martians look forward to the day
when the RF "Black Hole" shifts over eastern North America and Europe so they
get to experience life on Mars.  It is very quiet here!