[3830] OkQP N5UM Mobile Single Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Mar 18 13:46:39 PDT 2012

                    Oklahoma QSO Party

Call: N5UM
Operator(s): N5UM
Station: N5UM

Class: Mobile Single Op LP
QTH: Rover 16 counties

  160:      0        0
   80:      0        0
   40:    146        2
   20:    345      308
   15:     58       34
   10:      0        0
    6:      0        0
------------------------
Total:    549      344  Mults = 55  Total Score = 128,425

What a ride!  Was planning to stay down south and southwest, but due to popular
demand, I took a big detour on Saturday afternoon to the north.  Got an e-mail
from Connie K5CM about no CW coverage in Woods, Alfalfa, Major, and Blaine, and
we could not let that happen  :-0  -- Only downside was that I didn't have time
to go into Harmon in the far SW, but it looks like that got covered at the end.

I didn't have my son driving this time, so I decided to focus almost
exclusively on finding county lines to park on to double up on QSOs.  I can't
operate and drive, so there was a lot of drive (and gas, and rest room, and
eating) time between stops.  The weather was pretty good - overcast and in the
60s and 70s, but a bit windy.  Fortunately, no rain or storms.

Had some problems running full power on 40M - RF was getting into the control
module of my car (2008 Pontiac G6), so had to cut power back to 50W.   I made
the check engine light come on and killed the tachometer.  A battery disconnect
and reconnect reset everything so it was working again.

Started Saturday morning in Beckham County after spending Friday night in Elk
City.  Counties in order (county lines indicated with "/"):

Saturday:  Beckham, Kiowa/Washita, Jackson/Greer, Comanche/Tillman,
Blaine/Custer, Dewey

Drove up to Woodward Saturday night and started from there on Sunday morning:

Sunday:  Woodward/Major, Woods/Alfalfa, Garfield/Kingfisher

Many thanks to the stations listed below that followed me around and worked me
in 10 or more counties (call, followed by number of counties):

N4PN (16)
N6MU (16)
W4UCZ (16)
WA6KHK (16)
K3TW (14)
N5XG (13)
W4UT (13)
N4JF (12)
W8WVU (11)
K4AMC (10)
K4ZGB (10)
KI0I (10)
W6USN (10)

and also thanks to YV5OIE (9) the only DX I worked all weekend

Worked 45 states (all but RI, VT, NM, SD, and AK) and 4 VE provinces.  Also
worked 6 OK counties.

Rig:  Icom IC756 (classic - blue screen).  50 - 100W
Antennas:  Hamsticks on trunk lid - 2 mounts
MicroHam USB Interface II for rig control and keying
Gateway laptop running N3FJP OK QSO party software version 2.0, charging on
inverter between stops.

Thanks to everyone for all the QSOs, and hope to see you again in next year's
OKQP, if not sooner in another contest.

Very 73 !!

Al, N5UM