[3830] VaQP K2DBK SOSB/Mx/40Fixed LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Mar 18 19:25:16 PDT 2012

                    Virginia QSO Party

Call: K2DBK
Operator(s): K2DBK
Station: K2DBK

Class: SOSB/Mx/40Fixed LP
QTH: NJ

  UHF:
----------------------------
Total:   26    154      0  Mults = 70  Total Score = 16,950

The VaQP is one of my favorite state QSO parties,and I'm glad that I had time to
participate this year after missing the last couple of years. Given my location
in northern NJ, the only bands that are usable are 40 & 80 (I've made a couple
of contacts in the past on 160, but I don't really have an antenna and it's
usually not worth the effort). This year, I had plans that kept me out Saturday
evening so I didn't get on to 75/80 at all. Late Sunday afternoon I tuned around
for a bit on 80m but decided that instead of trying to work just the couple of
stations that I could hear, I'd stick with 40 and submit as SOSB/40 (mixed
mode).

I like this contest for a few different reasons: First, there's enough activity
to keep things going, but not so much that it's a fight for a little-pistol
station like me to have to work to make contacts. I could work everyone I could
hear, and I appreciate the nice signal reports that I got from many stations.
(Just 100w into a G5RV at about 35' here.) Second, this is one of the few
contests where I can get on and actually hold a run frequency for pretty much
as long as I'd like. That's not something that I get in the big DX contests!
Third, this has got to be one of the friendliest bunch of of folks in any
contest. When I had a small pileup going (for "rare" NJ!) I would move pretty
quickly, but most times I had plenty of time to just throw in a quick word or
two, and it was nice hearing when I was a new mult, or just having someone
thank me for getting on to help give out points. It's things like that the
remind me why I like this contest so much.

Thanks to the organizers for putting this on, and I look forward to working
everyone next year.