[3830] WPX SSB TF3CW SOSB20 HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Mar 26 13:52:38 PDT 2012

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: TF3CW
Operator(s): TF3CW
Station: TF3CW

Class: SOSB20 HP
QTH: Iceland
Operating Time (hrs):

   20: 1395

I had high hopes that propagation would shine on 20 meters up here in the North
during the contest. But the Aurora killed all my efforts come Saturday
morning.

During the week I put up a spanking new 5 el.Optibeam Monobander (tnx TF3ML) @
30 meters (100 feet), but this super antenna with its 15 meter boom (49 feet),
never got to shine, thanks to the Aurora...

The contest had started with a good US run. In two and a half hour I had around
400 Qs in the log before the band folded. Then I went for my planned 6 hour
break, to come back fresh for the JA/VK/ZL opening....that never
materialized.... Forced to run EU 1 point Qs instead, I waited for the expected
usual US/VE opening around 1130 Z....that never materialized....

 Actually, the propagation was so bad that I was running very weak EU at the
back of the beam, while beaming US....But not with a single US calling in.

"Spotlight" propagation at times within EU. I believe I QSOed the total ham
population of YO,PA and EI... To one of the EI stations I said: "You are 20
over ", his reply: "You are 60 over" When I am 60 over in EI-land on 20 meters
there is something seriously wrong with the propagation....

So,in short, this is life under the Aurora Borealis. You NEVER know what is
going to happen.....

Siggi TF3CW
CONTESTING....Much more than a hobby, a Lifestyle.