[3830] WPX SSB N9LB SOAB QRP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Mar 26 14:47:47 PDT 2012

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: N9LB
Operator(s): N9LB
Station: N9LB

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: WI

Club: Madison DX Club

Comments:

Rig = FLEX-1500, 10-15-20m antenna = TH11DX, 40M = dipole, 80M = 60' vertical.

I’ve never run QRP before and figured I’d try out the new 5W FLEX-1500 SDR
rig.

I got started right at the beginning of the contest.  Caught a sunset 10 meter
band opening, first three stations I worked were ZL1BYZ, VK4CT and ZL2WL.   Wow
that’s pretty impressive for 5 watts ( and a big antenna ).  I spent the next
five hours working South and Central America, Hawaii, and Western Canada on 10,
15 and 20 meters - usually with repeated calls and a lot of repeats of my QSO
number - very frustrating at times.  Probably 4 out of 5 stations called never
responded to me.  However the 1 out of 5 successes were awesome and caused me
to stay in the test to see what was possible, and it was fun to see the N1MM
logger displaying the results and calculating a score after each success.

Saturday morning I got back on the radio, found good trans-equatorial
conditions again, worked numerous African and South American stations on 10m
but had to QSY to 15m and 20m for Europe.

Ran all day Saturday, except for a two hour afternoon shopping trip with the
XYL.

Then back on the radio until Midnight Saturday. Caught another sunset opening
to the South Pacific, including VK’s and ZLs, and South Cook Is.  Also tried
40m and 80m, worked many US & Canadian stations east of the Mississippi but no
DX contacts on the low bands.

Then ran all day Sunday until the end of the contest on 10-80m. Time spent was
probably close to 30 hours