[3830] WPX SSB TI5N(W8QZA) SOAB QRP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Thu Mar 29 23:16:19 PDT 2012

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: TI5N
Operator(s): W8QZA
Station: TI5KD

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: nr San Jose, CR

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

Rig: Elecraft K-2, 5 Watts output

Antennas at TI5KD:

4 el 10 M Quad up 25 meters

5 el 15 M Yagi up 25 meters

5 el 20 M Yagi up 22 meters

TH6 Tribander up 25 meters

A3 Tribander up 12 meters fixed 135 degrees

2 el 40 M Quad fixed at 20 degrees

80 M rotatable short dipole up 32 meters

80 M Loop with apex up 27 meters

One of the most thrilling experiences in working a major contest from a DX
location like TI5N is calling CQ with 5 watts and having stations come back to
you. ...sometimes a LOT of stations come back to you!

509 or 46.4% of my Qs were by calling CQ. I have never calculated this
statistic before so I have nothing to compare it to. But it seemed like a lot.
I got this many Qs in about 8 hours. In other words, running stations gave me
46.4% of my Qs in 25% of my operating time. My max rate for an hour was 88
Qs/hour. Lousy for a LP or HP station, of course.

Oddly, my best Qs were all while CQing on 10 meters: SV, MU0GSY, 9H, V55V, and
ED9Z.

I managed to work 78 different DXCC countries and 26 Zones. Europe seemed to be
a struggle. Yet, in the end, Europe accounted for 193 QSOs or 17.6% of my Qs. 60
European Qs were on 10 Meters. Had I been home in San Diego, I doubt I'd have
made a single Q in Europe on 10 Meters.

On Sunday afternoon, it seemed that all I did for most of the afternoon was log
stations in the southeastern area of the USA on 10 Meters. I never got west of
KS or MN or MO. Lots of 2 point Qs but after a while almost no new mults!

Incredibly, I only worked two JA stations! One was at the very beginning of the
contest on 10 M abd the other at the very end on 15 Meters. I can't believe how
difficult it seems to be to work JA from Costa Rica!

It was another wonderful trip down to Keko's place and I enjoyed every minute!

73, and see you from home for last contest of the season season, CQ WPX CW.

...Bill Parker  W8QZA - TI5N - W6QU