[3830] 7QP N8II SOMixed LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon May 7 08:30:46 PDT 2012

                    7th Call Area QSO Party

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: SOMixed LP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:    0      0      0
   80:    0      0      0
   40:   30      2      0
   20:  127    172      0
   15:   89     91      0
   10:    2      1      0
----------------------------
Total:  248    266      0  Mults = 133  Total Score = 169,708

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Friday was a hectic day picking up my daughter from WVU; lowlights were XYL
running down the car battery and monumental traffic delays heading out of
town.
I left at 9AM, home at 8:40 PM. Saturday morning I was late starting after a
trip to the bank starting at 1331Z, not a serious time loss. I operated thru
the day with minimal breaks and ran out of gas at 0330Z. It's amazing how much
beter you can do focused on one contest rather than jumping around to other
QP's; this was my first undistracted attempt at 7QP.

Conditions were the best I have seen for 7QP from here, but could have been
better. The QRN level on 20 from Midwest storms was a steady S7 or better drone
from the start until about 18Z, then again after 23Z. This limited my ability to
hear anyone weak and their ability to hear my LP signal. MY 20 phone QSO total
at 21Z was only about 50. Luckily 15 was not open to the stormy area and was
blissfully quiet with loud signals by 14Z and OR/WA were loud by 1430Z thru
until 23Z. Activity was slow to build up though, especially on 15 phone. 10 was
open to AZ around 15Z, but no one was there (W7Z moved with me from 15). This
gave me enough time to chase most of the mobiles thru the morning and
afternoon.
The NEQP at 20Z muddied the 20M waters with QRM both modes, but luckily both
New England and IN were skipping over me. I noticed a bit late that 7QP
activity was up to the top of the 20M phone band. Finally at 2211Z, I was able
to run stations on 20 phone. Signals were loud from 2130Z until 03Z, but
activity dropped way down after 0130Z. I checked 80 around 03Z to find only
INQP and NEQP activity; QRN was quite high.

Many thanks to the county expeditions and mobiles for many rare counties. I
think I got all of the county line ones. I worked Dick N7XU/M the most, he was
never really hard to copy, good signal! Thanks also to mobiles KS5A, K7S, K7RE,
WT7TT, and KT7G. I had a sweep of AZ counties by early afternoon. Activity was
excellent from WA, OR, and ID (ID contesting ham population boom), barely got a
Clark Co., NV (Las Vegas). Mult totals were WA-28, OR-26, ID-18, UT-14, MT-13,
WY-11, and NV-8.

Thanks so much for all of the calls on phone and the Q's! It was a fun way to
spend the day for sure. Everyone seemed to hear my LP pretty well, but had to
take a back seat in pile ups at times. The score is a new category record (old
record about 137K), I hope it holds up.