[3830] NewEngQP WA1Z SO Mobile LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon May 7 20:03:34 PDT 2012

                    New England QSO Party

Call: WA1Z
Operator(s): WA1Z
Station: WA1Z

Class: SO Mobile LP
QTH: NH and VT

   80:      62       0
   40:     391       2
   20:     677      38
   15:      62       1
   10:       0       0
------------------------
Total:    1192      41  Mults = 79  Total Score = 191,575

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Station:
Radio:  Elecraft K3, 100 watts.

Antennas:  Hustler monoband resonators 80-15 (also had 10 with me, but never
used).  Resonators mounted on Hustler MO-2 masts.  Two antenna mounts available
on the rear hatch.

Logging:  Computer logging on laptop powered by combination of internal
batteries and sealed jump-start batteries, Writelog

T-Shirts:
Sat:  2011 California QSO Party
Sun:  PJ4X FCG-inspired "Orange Crush"

Thanks again to Tom, K1KI, for organizing another great NEQP!

After two years of talking about it, Kurt, W6PH, and I finally teamed up in the
NEQP this year.  Kurt did the driving and I did the operating.  Kurt says he
enjoyed listening to the action fed into the car stereo AUX jack.

The K3 and Win-Keyer were set up on a homemade table secured to the backseat.
The laptop and CW paddle were situated on a lap desk on, well, my lap.  This
worked well and I managed to stay comfortable with this configuration for the
duration of the contest.

Two Comet antenna mounts were installed on the back of the car for quick
switching between two bands.  These are trunk-lip mounts that are not designed
to be used with the medium-duty MO-2 masts.  To make the antennas very secure,
I constructed a harness made from PVC sections that extends from the car's roof
rack for added stability - I don't do any mobile operating outside of NEQP to
justify drilling holes for a more substantial antenna mount.

Kurt kept us on schedule the whole weekend through our 24 county changes in 20
total counties.  Conditions both days seemed very good.  However, activity
seemed low.  We averaged about 45-60 minutes in each county, for the most part.
 We tried to drive straight through big counties and had planned stops in
smaller counties to increase operating time.  In hindsight, even 45 minutes is
a little too long when activity is low.

Highlights:
- Having VK4AAR call in on 20 Sunday morning.
- Best observed 60 Minute Rate peak was 105/hour on Sunday afternoon.
- Dedicated group of guys that work this contest every year.  Thanks guys!
- No major technical issues during the contest, except for a mishap with a CW
paddle that got damaged when it fell of my lap on Sunday (sorry K1GQ and KO1U
for QLF moment)
- County plan was executed by Kurt flawlessly.
- OT:  Watching bicyclists tackle RT 11 East in Bennington VT (this road is
steep in spots)

The multiplier breakdown is 52 State/Prov and 27 DX mults.  I missed NM, SD,
KL7, SK, AB, NF, LB and the VE territories.  And, despite spending the majority
of the time in Vermont, I missed the VT multiplier!!!  I was searching for
someone in the last 30 minutes on 40 and 80 with no success.  After the
contest, I saw that WB1Z was just...1...k...c above me on 40 in the last hour.
Somehow, I missed them.

Thanks to everyone to called in this weekend.  Lots of repeat customers this
year helped keep the rate up.  Of the 1233 QSOs, 651 QSOs (52.7%) were "valid
dupes" due to the benefit of county changes.  Top repeater was N2WN with 32,
followed by N4PN (30) and WA1FCN (26).  Many QSOs with NT2A, K0JPL, WN1GIV,
NA4K, NF4A, N8UM, K1GQ, K1GU, W8TM, W4GDG, K4BAI, NW2K, KO1U, N4CW, VE1RGB,
N9AUG, and VE4VT and many others that called in more than once...thanks!

Also, thanks to all the guys who moved to phone when asked on Sunday to
complete "the three-point play."  It was very hard to get anyone to answer CQs
on phone, but passing worked really well and helped to keep the rate up on
Sunday.

Also had a dedicated group of repeat DX callers:  The most being HA8IB with 12,
followed by DL3DXX, DM3ZF, G3LIK, G3XVR, IV3AOL, KH6LC (LOUD on 15), OK2EC,
PA3AAV, RG5A, UA3AGW, UA6LCN, UR5MM, YO8DOH and more.  Thanks for all the
QSOs!

By my count, 447 unique callsigns were worked this weekend.

See you again next year!!!