[3830] WPX CW AD7JP(K2PO) SOAB LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun May 27 19:45:13 PDT 2012

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: AD7JP
Operator(s): K2PO
Station: K2PO

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Oregon

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Comments:

Wow... fun time!  15m was the star (e.g., ST2AR at 11pm local time).  Now if we
can get 10m back in action...

My score in 2.5X better than last year, with the same gear and same time in
chair, so good propagation does wonders.

(I had one handicap this year - a rare (for us) lightning storm that stalled in
my neighborhood - keeping me off the air for an hour near the beginning of the
contest.)

Again, no Europeans this year on 80, 40 or 10, and no Asians on 80 or 10.  My
6-pointers were down from last year, as folks hung around 20 and 15m most of
the night.

One of the reasons I like this contest is because Japan provides more than the
usual single multiplier.  Among the 293 unique JA calls in my log (of 367 total
JA QSOs, or 21%), there are 82 different prefixes.

Clearly, a ton of records fell this weekend.  (My WPX tally of 794 beat the USA
LP record - from 2002 - by 25+.  But N5AW bettered me by 100+.)

'Funny how prefixes come and go.  When I was first licensed, the WB prefixes
were a dime a dozen (I was WB2APO).  This weekend I was glad to get QRP WB8JUI
with 15 minutes to go, and except for WB4 and WB5, I never heard any other WB
prefixes.

(I wonder - do the few ops who insist on sending 40 wpm really gain anything
from it?  I don't think I've ever heard DR1A send at even 30 wpm, yet that
group routinely turns in top scores.)

Thanks to all - especially the casual contesters who fill up most of our logs!

73,

Bill, K2PO/7