[3830] WPX CW N4KG SO(A)AB(TS) HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun May 27 22:02:28 PDT 2012

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: N4KG
Operator(s): N4KG
Station: N4KG

Class: SO(A)AB(TS) HP
QTH: ALA

Club: Alabama Contest Group

Comments:

I hadn't planned to operate this contest but decided it might be a good way to
learn how to use my recently acquired Icom 756PRO-III.  The DSP Notch Filter
was amazing!  It total removed a loud European 100Hz above R0DX enabling me to
copy him easily.  Turn off the Notch and it was impossible to copy the R0.

As expected, summertime propagation is nothing like the rest of the year with
Europe peaking in the afternoon and evening on 15M and Asians workable most of
the day.  15M was open to EU when I started at 0200Z and again when I checked
back at 0500Z.  40M was GREAT Saturday night (I didn't check Friday night).  I
expect 15M was the Best Single Band for the weekend.

After a brief spell on 40M Sunday morning, I decided to see if there was any
activity on 10M on the BandScope.  To my surprise, there was, most of it from
Europe from 1200 to 1400Z.  Highlights included A71EM A73A C4Z P33W R7LV ST2AR
4X0W.

Only HK1NA was worked on 5 Bands.
17 stations were worked on 4 Bands:
4L0A 6V7S A71EM CR6K ED1R EF2A EF7X G5W
LX7I LZ9W NQ4I OL4A OM7M OP4K P33W P49Y PW7T

Almost all contacts were worked S&P style.

Tom N4KG in North Alabama