[3830] WPX CW DH8BQA SO(A)SB10 LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon May 28 04:33:46 PDT 2012

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: DH8BQA
Operator(s): DH8BQA
Station: DH8BQA

Class: SO(A)SB10 LP
QTH: JO73ce

Club: Rhein Ruhr DX Association

Comments:

Elecraft K3, 100 W + Cushcraft X7 @ 40 ft. & 6 ele OWA Yagi @ 60 ft. & homebrew
stackmatch

Condx were "so lala". Have seen better ES conditions during past WPX-CW's on 10
m already. Difficult to keep the butt in the chair with rates of 10-15 Qs per
hour, hi.

No direct F2 propagation so relying on Sporadic E. Interesting to have either
3x ES hops into the U.S. or maybe some link between ES + F2 afterwards. So glad
to have worked 40 W/VE (Saturday afternoon 5, Sunday evening/night 35) plus a
few Caribeans, most of them late in the night on Sunday (another sign for ES
rather than F2 propagation). All very localized, never more than 1 or 2 states
(= stations, hi) at once for a few minutes (17 states in total). After they
faded new ones popped out of the noise to vanish after a few minutes again,
too. Had a hard time working K2SSS who were copyable several times but only
519/529 and couldn't raise them with my low power signal. Later on they were
559 when I finally caught them and during the last 2 hours of the contest they
were 599+ for long times. Well ...

Found W5GAI during the last 2 minutes of the contest. He was CQing being a real
good 559 signal. As per his 3830 report he was running QRP but couldn't hear me
with 100 W + 6 ele Yagi? Well, he was even calling CQ TEST still 5 minutes
after the contest was over so I suppose he simply fell asleep, hihi.

Despite no rates it was still fun and again an interesting exercise
propagation-wise. That's what I like about 10 m. Maybe next time on a higher
rate band like 20 or 15 m (or even AB again). Just didn't choose so this time
as I don't feel competitive with just the X7 there, hi.

CU in the next one (IARU in July). 73, Olli - DH8BQA