[3830] WPX CW YU1WC SOSB40 QRP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon May 28 17:24:00 PDT 2012

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: YU1WC
Operator(s): YU1WC
Station: YU1WC

Class: SOSB40 QRP
QTH: Belgrade

The only plan I had was to try to repeat the score of last year (650 qsos).

I started with great tempo during the first night, which payed off since during
the second night there were not much new NA and SA stations. All the time I was
between 50 and 100 qsos ahead of last years score. 95% of qsos were s&p.

48 (36) hour contests are very difficult for me - the second night was almost
painful, and once again I had to make a hour long rest during prime dx time.
But the end was again pure joy, since the points counter was rolling fast with
each new qso or multiplier (although it was hard to find new, unworked stations
on Sunday evening). Finally, the 2011 qso count was exceeded, and the total
score was unexpectedly much higher - post contest analysis showed that I worked
much more 6-pointers than last year (153 vs 96).

As always, most memorable moments were those when I worked VK, ZL, and of
course NH2T. It is really a joy to do it with a simple, homemade antenna and
rig. This time I did not manage to work a couple of needed, new dxcc that were
active. PW0F and A5A had big, time-wasting pileups. Less than 2 hours before
the contest ended, I ran again into A5A who was not busy, and he partialy
copied my call when an EU station first started tuning above us, and then ran
over me working A5A without serial number. A5A went QRT right after that,
leaving me without new dxcc, multiplier and 6 points :(

Big thanks to all who copied my call and my serial number, and especially to
those who in couple of occasions stud by me through many repeats until the
serial was deciphered.

73 de Fric YU1WC

Rig: Genesis G40, 5W, SDR QRP monobander kit
Antenna: 10 m high vertical with 2 elevated radials, @ 35 m high rooftop, on a
hilltop
Software: GSDR & N1MM