[3830] WPX CW C4Z(5B4AIZ) SOSB10 LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Tue May 29 15:49:55 PDT 2012

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: C4Z
Operator(s): 5B4AIZ
Station: 5B4AIZ

Class: SOSB10 LP
QTH: LARNACA

Total:  948  Prefixes = 558  Total Score = 1,472,004

Club: Chiltern DX Club

Comments:

Well for sure in this record breaking year there will be no new markers for
10mtrs. It was the wrong choice, like being invited to two parties and choosing
the quiet boring one whilst there was a humdinger going on down the road. Were I
a sports commentator asked to sum up the game I would say something like "The
Cardinals started poorly and fell away"

If I had thought it through I would have been on another band. Looking at the
reports filed here we see low q counts for 10mtrs in almost every case. The
motivator for changing bands is mlts, in this one mlts count once only, why
leave a band running 3/4 a minute where average mlts are around one in three
q's for a slower rate on an unstable band. Guys were taking a look once in a
while and saying 'no thanks'. Had the test been cqww it would have been a whole
heap different, not great but activity brings activity and the band was always
open to somewhere but we have what we have and try to make the best of it.

There was a sporadic cloud over this area which barely moved all weekend.
Normal sporadic on 10 sees the band opening and closing to different ares, not
this time and I guess I must have worked every UY, LZ, YO, YU, who ventured
onto the band, areas we would not hear under normal f2 cndx, falling in the
near skip zone for this band. It did nudge west just a little but it was 3.00pm
local before the first OK, those guys are normally first in and last out. West
eu was a no-no On the other hand f2 long dx was there with strong sigs from Pac
but all were located within 10 deg north or south of the tropics. Caribbean & SA
were particularly strong and my 100w was beating the usa & eu piles making first
or second calls every time, there are just not enough of them. Usa & JA are
where the mlts are and they just didn't show.

I empathise with VE9AA, Mike if it was slow for me then, with about one third
of my contacts it was agony for you but what is a ratemeter?!!!! If you missed
Mikes very humorous writeup then be sure to check  the 'Soapbx' pages, well
worth the visit.

Fadeouts were a big problem, not slow qsb but total disappearance never to
reappear, I never wiped so many qso's. S&P was a real pain, waiting forever
listening to repeats and then, as a lp stn, having to wait in line, I just
could never get any momentum going. Nor am I looking forward to my RBN, my
score is going to get a mauling. If I had a weak caller, and that was often, I
sent the s/n two times, why could the other guy so often not take the hint? If
I had to ask for a repeat I would send it back for confimation, too often I was
left in limbo when the other guy moved on.

Finally, I needed to configure a different computer for MicroKeyer11 shortly
before the contest and couldn't manage it. If anyone knows of a step by step
installation & troubleshooting 'Guide For Dummies' I and a thousand other guys
around the world would like to know about it as the Owners Manual is not well
written. Apologies for the uneven keying on occaisions.

Eqp't - TS570, 100w, 3 ele Tribander up 50', Logging with 'SD'

73  Brian C4Z/5B4AIZ.