[3830] WPX CW GM1F(GM4FAM) SOSB10 HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Wed May 30 04:42:03 PDT 2012

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: GM1F
Operator(s): GM4FAM
Station: GM1F

Class: SOSB10 HP
QTH: TORE

Club: GMDX Group

Comments:

Thoughts turned to WPX CW during April, around the same time as I got a major
health scare.  Following treatment I really wasn't sure whether would be fit
enough to take part but during the week before the contest decided to at least
prepare to do something.  Conditions at the time indicated that if any band was
going to be the one it was 15m, with amazing signals coming in from JA and the
USA.  But with no reasonable antenna to hand I decided that if 10m opened up a
little then here was probably going to be the best to have a go.  So I
resurrected my homebrew Moxon and stuck it on a 20ft pole; that and a dipole at
30ft would have to do!  First QSO was at 0848 local and from then on it was fun
all the way.  There was more DX about on the Saturday but on Sunday 10m really
opened up to Europe with tremendous short skip condx and lots of  juicy mults.
267 Qs / 209 prefixes were logged on Saturday while Sunday gained another 377 Qs
/ 186 prefixes.  Brief flurries of excitement on Sunday when the band opened up
to UA9 early morning and the South Eastern states early afternoon but nothing
like the openings enjoyed by more southerly EU stations.  The band kept open
here until at least 11pm local on Sunday when I had to QRT due to extreme
fatigue; and P33W were still 20db over and R7LV was also s9 (Vlad was probably
the most consistent signal here all weekend).  Thanks to all who called; must
comment on the tremendous number of German stations active - 121 different +
51 prefixes mults.   Great fun!