[3830] SS CW KM6I(@AD6Z) SO Unlimited HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Nov 5 01:40:12 EST 2012

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: KM6I
Operator(s): KM6I
Station: AD6Z

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: Los Gatos, CA

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Many many thanks to my station host Kevin, AD6Z, for letting my use his
amplifiers and aluminum farm again this year. Like previous years, Kevin
provided me a local skimmer to feed me spots. He also heroically pulled a
Macgyver when the wireless connectivity to my laptop failed, and built a
wireless bridge from a Netgear router and some open-source software. And then
when the amplifier failed he built a new one from a coat hanger, some aluminum
foil, and a potato*.

Elecraft K3 + AL-1200B
80M dipoles (E/W, N/S) @ 110'
2 el 40 (2)
5 el 20
5/5 el 15
5 el 10

A much different contest than last year. 10m was a total bust for me. Low SSN,
and hardly anyone on the band, but there were isolated loud signals from the
midwest and east coast form time to time. I had a good start on 15 and ran 182
Qs there in the first 2 hours - maybe I missed a 10m opening? 80m was also not
very productive, and seemed very noisy.

Made the sweep, mostly letting the mults call me, although I only have one ONN
contact, and, IIRC, it was a bit of an ESP QSO. Fingers crossed for
log-checking. Went to bed Saturday with 81 sections, missing SF and RI, and got
both of those by 7am local time Sunday.

I'm a few QSOs short of my total count from last year, and packed it in an hour
early after many unanswered CQs and no new stations found when tuning the band.

On the bright side, the first few hours running on 15 were great, and I was a
hundred QSOs ahead last year's totals for a while. And I actually managed to
use SO2V and my K3's subreceiver  to generate, I don't know, maybe 5 extra
QSOs? The major accomplishment was not QLFing away any contacts. I'm trying to
train my brain to be able to do SO2R someday.

Thanks for the QSOs everyone!

*Yes, that's made up. But the wireless bridge thing is true.