[3830] SS CW K4O(K1RX) Single Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Nov 5 08:15:26 EST 2012

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K4O
Operator(s): K1RX
Station: K1RX

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: W1

   40: 1077

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Thanks for coming to my party!  I wanted to celebrate my long time love for the
40 M band and my other love, the CW SS!  Obtained the special call K4O to use
as an invitation to the party.  Some might have questioned the wisdom of doing
this and during the course of the weekend, there were some unexpected results
like being called by the DX community. In many cases, they were strong enough
off the back of the beam to have me think, oh a QRP guy calling.  Did not
anticipate the DX interest here.

It is a well known fact that 40 Meters is the "money" band for us east coasters
in SS.  Thought I would just see just how much money could be made and spent the
entire time on this one band.  Rates varied as a function of the opening and
closing of the other bands which was interesting to observe.  My sleep time was
a little different than the normal contest operation.  Stayed until 5 AM when I
tuned the band and found NOTHING.  Slept until 7 AM local and things were
rolling again. At that point, I had the "old" clean sweep of 80 but no success
with EWA, VE6, or VE8 (did hear VE6EX once).  But as luck would have it these
guys came through in the end as I managed to get these remaining sections the
hour before the end.

Contrats to the guys in NLI, NNJ, SNJ for making their way back on the air.
Tough time for sure!

Got a chance to really play with my new K3 and learned a few new features with
N1MM as well.  One minor issue was with either my email system or N1MM - unable
to upload the file to my email and submit to the ARRL.  Hope to have this
resolved shortly.

So what did I learn?  It was pretty much as I expected as far as working all
sections, rates and range of signal strength from below the noise floor to 60
over S9 (ouch!).  Also interesting was I was not in the SCP file and my section
was not expected for the call I was using - many with a question of Sec? often
received - good - everyone is really paying attention to copying the info
correctly! Was hoping to essentially have as many QSOs in an all band effort by
just operating one - would say, this is pretty much the case.  It was fun but
now will return to the all band mode.

Thanks for stopping by - nice to meet new and old friends again!

73, Mark, K"4O" (K1RX)
Love that ole 40 M band!