[3830] SS CW K4BAI Single Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Nov 5 08:21:39 EST 2012

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K4BAI
Operator(s): K4BAI
Station: K4BAI

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: GA

Club: Georgia Contest Group

Comments:

FT1000MP, AL811H, 500W, TH6DXX, dipole, inverted vee.  I had planned on a SO2R
effort from the WW4LL station, but we didn't get the set up for SO2R completed
and Fred had an antenna failure.  My Alpha 78 is in the shop.  The usual MP was
having a problem switching the antenna relay back to receive in the amplifier,
so swapped it out for the #2 MP, which worked fine.  Updated my logging program
and had the second amp, Alpha 91b rocking and rolling by the practice run on
Friday night.  Close to 1500W and full QSK.  Worked a few in the Ukrainian DX
Contest on Saturday morning and everything was great.  Came home after lunch
with the family and the Alpha 91b wouldn't operate.  It saw a "fault" and shut
down on every band.  So, swapped it out for the AL811H, which has only about
1/3 of the output power and no QSK.  Did my best with a less-than-optimum SO1R
set up.  Bands were pretty good and all sections were worked with little
problem.  Almost 100 QSOs behind last year's effort SO2R as guest op at WW4LL.
Last mult was Alaska and eventually worked about five of them.  Thanks to K5KG
(VO1XX) and WJ2O (with VY1EI) for traveling to rare Canadian sections, as well
as those who traveled to KP2M.  Skip was relatively short on 20 and 40 on
Saturday and it was very late before I got to 80.  80 was quiet and signals
were strong from coast to coast.  As usual, Sunday was a lot of hard work in
one radio operation with not a lot of answers to CQs.  20 and 40 went long
early Sunday afternoon and weren't as productive as they might have been
otherwise.  80M was very noisy Sunday night.  Thanks for all QSOs.  Hope to
work most of you again in the SSB Sweeps.  73, John, K4BAI.