[3830] SS CW W6PH Single Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Nov 5 15:31:44 EST 2012

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: W6PH
Operator(s): W6PH
Station: W6PH

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Lone Pine CA

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

One radio (IC-781, AL1200) CT-DOS 9.57
Temporary Field Day antennas

More contacts on 160m than 10m.  I listened to 10m a couple times but the
stations I heard were already worked or would be worked on the other bands.

I had 81 sections when I went to bed and picked up K1VSJ and VY1EI on Sunday
morning.  I heard VY1EI several times later in the day and worked about four
more RI stations.  The other tough sections were NNY, ONN, and VT.

This is my fifth year of just over 1100 contacts.  I haven't tried SO2R but it
may be the answer to getting over that low 1100 threshold.

The level of activity seemed to be lower than in previous years.  The last
couple hours were really tough with the CQ to answer ratio being 25 to one, or
it seemed that way.

There seemed to be atmospheric noise on 40m on Saturday night which masked some
of the very weak stations.  It wasn't there on Sunday evening.  On the other
hand, 80m was more comfortable on Saturday night.

Hours on each band:  80 - 3.3; 40 - 7.7; 20 - 6.8; 15 - 6.0.

Lots of OF's in this SS with CK's in the 50's.  I know how old you are!

                     73, Kurt, W6PH