[3830] SS CW KC2VVZ(W2LC) Single Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Thu Nov 8 09:53:31 EST 2012

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: KC2VVZ
Operator(s): W2LC
Station: KC2VVZ

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: WNY

I was tempted to do a full effort and try to break one of the section records,
with the 3 new sections, but decided against that. BTW I think splitting up
Ontario into 4 sections was a dumb idea, not needed or necessary and does not
make the contest better. In otherwords SS wasn't broke so there was no need to
try and fix it. Having Ontario split into 4 pieces actually makes SS less
desirable to operate in my opinion. I live very close to ONN and had trouble
working that section, I only heard one station on. I worked a few NNY's without
even looking for it.

So anyway, I used my daughter's call instead of mine, seems like I get better
rates with her call! Did pretty well for low power and the band restrictions of
her license. I had some very good hours but some poor ones as well. I averaged
55 per hour for 10.5 hours so I am happy with that. The antennas still work I
guess, however my TS930 is not doing so well. The receiver has lost some gain
somewhere, I'm thinking that a local oscillator of reference oscillator has
gone south. I like the 930, the receiver is very good when it works properly.
Time for a new radio, but which one? The dual receivers would be nice.

I got all the "hard" sections but missed VT, DE and WCF. I thought those would
be easy but they weren't. VY1EI was S9+20 on 15 meters and made Yukon very easy
to work.

73 Scott W2LC (at KC2VVZ)