[3830] WAE RTTY N2FF Single Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Nov 11 17:57:27 EST 2012

                    WAE DX Contest, RTTY

Call: N2FF
Operator(s): N2FF
Station: N2FF

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: East Williston, NY

   80:    0       0     0     0
   40:  100            20   111
   20:   62            30    68
   15:  122           170    96
   10:   31            40    44
---------------------------------
Total:  315  183425   260   319  Total Score = 183,425

Club: Order of Boiled Owls of New York

Comments:

I think I had more QTC than the program (Writelog) shows.

Thanks to all the folks who heard my peanut whistle - 100w and a 40M dipole at
50 feet with an FT 10O0MP.  I started out thinking I would do a single band 40
meter assistged effort. Then I found out that the MP would tune on 20 15 and
even 10.  And people came back to me. This beacme a fun pouncing experience.
Sorry I strained so many receivers around the world.

The downsized station station is the result of Sandy and then a Nor'easter.  We
were one of the lucky ones.  Lost electricity for 52 hours and INternet then for
over a week.  There are still people inn my little vilalge who have no power and
no heat. Sandy bent the mast on my 3 element quad.  I used that mast for over 30
years. The quad survived - no wires broken or fiberglass shattered.  Amazing
since I lost part of an oak tree and two large maples.
Both wound up in neighbors lawns.  One was uprouted and knocked over.  I
estimate that the winds that did this were 90 to 100 mph.

I had the tower cranked down for the storm so I tilted it over and started to
take the quad apart to install a new mast.  Then the nor'easter and the snow
came - 12 inches of wet snow and ice.  The four spreaders still on the tower
had about 3 inches of snow and ice on them.  One spreader eventually shattered.
 I was surprised all of the did not break.

Most of the snow is now gone so I think I will be able to take the rest ofit
apart in the next day or two.

Despite all of this radio mess I consider myself lucky.  There are others on LI
who are a lot worse off and nearly 100k still have no power and therefor no
heat.  This is Katrina for NY and NJ!