[3830] SS SSB WR9D(KB9UWU) Single Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Nov 18 23:25:41 EST 2012

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: WR9D
Operator(s): KB9UWU
Station: K9BF

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: IL

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

I had two goals, sit in chair for 24 hours, since my regular time has been 19
hours, and make 235k points.  Got 235k easily but failed at keeping butt in
chair.  Only slept about 2 hours all weekend.  After getting sweep at 1800z, I
lost a lot of interest in operating and went out to eat with some Champaign IL
hams.  After some food and a few gallons of Pepsi, I stuck it out until about
30min ago.  Toooooo tired.  I'm sure I biffed some calls/reports.

It's very nostalgic operating at K9BFs.  Ben got my involved in my first SS SSB
in 2000 and all 5 I've participated in since have been either with him as multi
op, or single op at his home QTH.  Ben also got me out of ham "retirement" this
time last year.

First hour was 140, next 3 were 100, really thought I was on to something until
I lost my frequency on 40m and felt like I was spinning my wheels all night.
Quite a familiar feeling on Sunday as well.  Some awesome runs followed by a
few 30-40 hours.

Equipment: FT1000MKV, AL800H, 3 el SteppIR at 53' (in bidirectional mode the
entire contest), 40/80 Inv V fan dipole (same feedpoint) apex around 50'.

73
Matt