[3830] SS SSB K3TN Single Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Nov 19 05:20:25 EST 2012

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K3TN
Operator(s): K3TN
Station: K3TN

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: MDC

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

K3 to KPA-500 to OCF Dipole at 45'

Amazing how different a contest this one is from the CW SS. Oddly enough, I
find myself enjoying SSB SS more each year - not enough to endure more than an
hour or so at a time, but enough to make more trips down to the shack even
after getting the sweep.

Tuning around 10 right before the start I found VY1EI and worked him early,
just like in the CW SS. Tuning 20 I finally worked AA4V in SC, then my next QSO
was another SC - and the same happened on 40M with WV. N6ZFO in SF was my last
one and the only SF.

With my OCF dipole, lots of short skip on 15 and 20, working New England and
the midwest on those bands, with the West Coast never that loud. I only had one
run on 40m, absorption seemed high. For that run, I apparently inherited a
frequency W9RE had been spotted on, as after my first CW I had a small pileup,
with lots of dupes and finally someone said "Ooops, you're not W9RE."

S&Ping in fone contests is real torture, but in this one (and in Field Day) a
lot of first timers are calling CQ - it feels like a contesting public service
to introduce them to the thrill of running!