[3830] SS SSB W0UA(@W0DLE) Single Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Nov 19 10:25:39 EST 2012

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: W0UA
Operator(s): W0UA
Station: W0DLE

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: CO

PHONE Sweepstakes?  Sorry, I have a root canal scheduled. Or was it
electro-shock treatment?   I chased this thing as a young man in the 1970's
(prehistoric times) from WA0CVS / W0TR until I won it in 1976.  But I don't DO
that anymore, swore off it like a bad habit YEARS ago.  It's torture! I'm too
old for this!  And I think the result bears that out. Maybe I can do better
next time?  Next time??  Get outta' here!

Funny what's changed and what hasn't.  More big stations with more competent
ops.  Big numbers from every direction now, not just the west.  Low bands way
more important. Big multi-op scores! But then, I had one guy on Sunday
afternoon say, 'Could you run that past me again, slower--I'm writing this all
down.'  What?? (Hope he got me on the dupe-sheet?) And then the erstwhile
dupers--who accounted for about 70 percent of all callers in the last 2 hours.
Did I mention the unrelenting, ear-assaulting splatter?  And then there was the
splatter...

OK, I'm not saying it wasn't fun. Sort of.  But I'm glad it's over!  Thanks to
Mr. Wodle for his first-class hospitality and the privilege to operate from his
fine station.  With just a little fine-tuning, that station can be expected to
get really tough in domestic events.

You say the next big one is on CW?  Thank you, Jesus!

Geo  W0UA