[3830] SS SSB W5GN SO Unlimited HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Nov 19 12:42:06 EST 2012

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: W5GN
Operator(s): W5GN
Station: W5GN

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: Dallas

Club: North Texas Contest Club

Comments:

S&P ONLY. Unlimited certainly makes a Sweep easier, but it's still a challenge.
Moreso on SSB where there are no RBNs to pick up every CW station!
I went to bed needing KY SF AK WV ONE.  By noon I needed only AK, and as I'm
tuning I heard one KL7 station giving his exchange to an East Coast run
station, and I jumped in to ask the run station "can I poach the Alaskan", but
he didn't understand, and by the time I explained "poaching" to him, i.e.
working a multiplier on the run stations frequency, that KL7 was long gone.
A little later I heard the tailend of a AL1G report, but she was covered
by other callers for the WV run station. I had "found" 75 sections jumping
to a new spot that was flagged as a new section (N1MM Call History), and had
found another 7 spots that turned out to be new sections but not flagged,
but I spent most of the time tuning up or down each band rather than
jumping to spots, while keeping spots sorted by azmiuth and watching for
a KL7 to be spotted.

So I was totally chuffed when I tuned up 10 meters looking for any new
station to work, to find an un-spotted KL7AIR at 28.452 calling CQ, to
finish my sweep, and then 3 KHz Higher, KL7RA was my insurance AK QSO.

Barry, W5GN