[3830] SS SSB WB1GQR(W1SJ) SO Unlimited HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Tue Nov 20 01:27:40 EST 2012

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: WB1GQR
Operator(s): W1SJ
Station: WB1GQR

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: Essex, VT

Club: Radio Amateurs of Northern VT

Comments:

Sorry you all missed me in SS CW. I was on a relief mission to help family in NY
deal with flooded basements, lack of electricity and lack of gasoline. All of
that was slightly more fun than the Sunday afternoon SS doldrums...

After last year's monster QSO numbers, I wasn't expecting much this year -
especially given the somewhat unsettled conditions. But I also didn't expect to
get my butt kicked all over the bands either!

The first hour was great! But then things went quickly into the dumper. Hour 3
was a disaster played out on three different bands. Eventually the higher bands
closed and I was able to get down to my money band on 80 meters and get some
good rates for a while. Around 0400 everyone eventually decided to show up on
my frequency and hold a party, and the rates dropped.

I don't remember much about Sunday - for good reason. Different bands,
different radios, different antennas, different strategies were all tried - and
the result was the same mediocre numbers. A sane person would have thrown in the
towel. But as a trained contester, sanity is considered secondary. What kept me
going was that I noticed everyone's numbers were down. Misery loves company!

Can't wait for next year!
Mitch