[3830] SS SSB N1LN SO Unlimited HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Thu Nov 22 07:50:06 EST 2012

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: N1LN
Operator(s): N1LN
Station: N1LN

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: NC

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

What a strange beginning.  I was not paying attention to the difference in
starting times (EST vs UTC) for the CW and SSB weekends, I started Sweepstakes
about 10 minutes late.   When I turned on my equipment at 410 EST it was quite
surprising to already hear someone calling CQ SS.  So the original plan for a
slow and relaxing start that included having a precontest dinner turned into a
rushed and frantic next 5 minutes.  Who needs to eat anyway?

As I was going to operate SO2R, the plan was to start running on 20 and SP on
40.  After about 20 minutes I reversed that strategy.   The rate on 40 was so
much better than 20.    Additionally, as I was running Unlimited Class I
decided to take advantage of the cluster for multiplier chasing on 20.  That
also worked out quite well.  It wasn’t long before the only mults needed for
a sweep were PR and WCF.   I found a couple WCF stations on 20 but the skip was
not in my favor.   Had to wait until moving the mult station to 80 before WCF
entered the log.   When I finally shut down at 0712 UTC PR was yet to be found.
 That was a fun 10 hours.

The next morning once again started later than planned.  The alarm went off at
1100 UTC, but I didn’t get up until 1200UTC.    My sweep occurred at 1222
when NP4G was found with no pile up.    Operating time Sunday was pretty much
solid until 1700, except for a breakfast break.  By then the Q count was over
1000 which is the annual target contribution to the PVRC club total.  The rest
of the day was made up of many 15 to 30 minute operating periods with longer
breaks between them.  As indicated above the total time that N1MM counted was
18 hours, but that is because some of the time away was not long enough to
count as OFF TIME.   It was probably more like 15 hours in the chair.

Thanks to everyone for the Qs.  Congrats to those that can actually operate for
the full 24 hour period.  Perhaps next year I will enter in the Multi-Op class.
 That might be the only way to turn in a 24 hour log from this QTH for SS.

73,
Bruce N1LN