[3830] CQWW CW N9CO SOSB(A)/160 LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Nov 25 16:17:57 EST 2012

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: N9CO
Operator(s): N9CO
Station: N9CO

Class: SOSB(A)/160 LP
QTH: Sycamore, IL

  160:  64     12       33
Total:  64     12       33  Total Score = 6,345

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Part time effort sandwiched around family holiday obligations.  Used W9-only
filtered Skimmer RBN for spots.  Except for any VE's that popped up, found all
other mults "the old fashioned way".

Rig:  FT-1000MP, 100w
Ant:  Shunt-fed 84' tower with not nearly enough radials.  300' Beverage for
RX.

I've only had the shunt-fed tower going for a few weeks now, and was curious as
to how it plays.  Seems to do OK.  With the too-short Beverage, I can hear
better than I am heard.  Spent some time switching back and forth between TX
antenna and RX antenna to see which one worked better.  Most of the time, it
was the RX antenna, even if the signal was strong enough to overcome usual
static and crud when listening with a vertical TX antenna.  I will be adding
more radials to the shunt-fed tower as time and WX permits.

I had lots of fun, even with pitiful QSO rates.  Ran a couple of times, worked
mostly zero-pointers, but did have KP4 and EI call me.  Cool!

Looking forward to ARRL 160 in a couple of weeks.

73,
Charlie  N9CO