[3830] CQWW CW 4U1GSC(@9A3A) SOAB HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Nov 25 20:57:46 EST 2012

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: 4U1GSC
Operator(s): (9A3A/E73A)
Station: 9A3A

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Brindisi, Italy

  160:  406    13       57
   80:  381    15       61
   40: 1380    30       90
   20:  696    29       86
   15:  757    30       85
   10:  709    32       94

Managed to improve 4U1GSC antennas, mainly ground planes, with F12 duobander
410-415 installed at 10 meters. As the rotor has not been used for a long time,
the indicator was not working properly, which restricted moving antenna often (I
was peaking through the window for JA and USA directions). At the last moment
added the missing antenna, which happens to be my favorite band. Installed last
weekend a full size inverted V for 160m but only 10m over the ground, under the
T2X rotor. It has reached NA, JA and OC at the last hours, producing more
multipliers on Top Band than last year from T70A. My theory is that the color
of insulated wire is important - I've achieved Top Band WAZ from 5B4ADA with
similar antenna, a bit higher, though.

Propagation sucked most of the night time, I can't believe how  big guns
sounded on 40/80/160 at some points.

First day used R2 quite a lot, second day was in slow motion mood,  although I
have not slept at all, but motivation was down on Sunday, so I even had a quick
walk and replaced one side of 160m inv V, which was causing RFI inside the
shack.

Not happy with the mult totals and QSO points percentage, but considering all
were worked the old fashioned way, at some point you get tired of tuning up and
down the bands. With limited hardware at my disposal, one can only pray for
excellent propagation, which seemed not to be case this year, at least for me.

No internet, no visitors, except for Sunday breakfast brought by my dearest
wife, I was all alone and enjoyed the weekend.

Highlight is that even small gun stations can have fun if nothing breaks.
Managed to stay awake full time again with no problems. Good to work many
friends, missed some too.....

73 and GL to more serious competitors.

Ivo I7/9A3A, E73A, @ 4U1GSC

4U1GSC "on loan" station (by the way, if anybody has any contesting hardware
not needed for whatever reason, 4U1GSC may be happy to add it to more permanent
station, right now we have no equipment that will remain permanently in the club
and any donation is more than welcome).

K3/Yaasu FT 990 SO2R, powered by Alpha amps.

160 m - Inv V full size @ 10m
80m - Inv L
40m - quarter wave vertical, three elevated radials
20m- 2el ground plane to USA, single vertical
15m - 2el ground plane to USA, Force 12 4 el @ 10m
10m - 2 el ground plane to USA, Force 12 4 el @ 10m

Contest         : CQ World Wide DX Contest
Callsign        : 4U1GSC
Mode            : CW
Category        : Single Operator (SO)
Overlay         : ---