[3830] CQWW CW K7IA SOAB(A) HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Nov 25 22:42:46 EST 2012

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K7IA
Operator(s): K7IA
Station: K7IA

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: NM
Operating Time (hrs): 21:48

  160:   10     6        8
   80:   52    14       32
   40:  169    27       80
   20:  166    28       80
   15:  240    30       90
   10:  133    21       63
------------------------------
Total:  770   126      353  Total Score = 1,005,421

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

All S&P and first time as assisted.

Every QSO was a competition with other S&P ops who simply called continuously
and randomly whether the Runing Op was transmitting or listening.  A nice, but
tedious, way to hone pileup-busting skills.

New low band antennas were made operational within the past two weeks:  shunt
fed towers for 80 and 160m and a full sized loop for 80m.  The loop is nicely
broadbanded, but for DX it lags the vertical.  Both shunt fed towers are better
for Tx than Rx, so the next project is a Beverage farm for a better matchup.
Four of the ten possibilities for 6-band sweeps go to 6Y3M, D5A, D4C, and
VE7FO.  There were many 5-banders.  Thanks for the mini Sweepstakes, chaps!

The other competition was the attempt to break a megapoint score.  With one eye
on the clock and the other on the Bandmap, it was surely a race.  I lost about
10 minutes trying to work OA4SS with 15 minutes and 8K or so points remaining.
When he went split, I thought I had it made, but the mob quickly caught up to
the QSX.  I was doomed until with moments to go, I dropped down to 40m and
worked a few including HD2A (a "green" double mult) to go over the top.  Like
paper assets, though, the score won't hold through the log checks, but tonight,
it's satisfying!

Many thanks to the many teams who activated the juicy DX entities--you were
honey to the swarming bees!  Thanks for holding up under the pressure...

On to ARRL 160, even with no Beverages!

73, dan k7ia