[3830] CQWW CW VE3THX SOSB(A)/15 LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Nov 25 23:18:47 EST 2012

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: VE3THX
Operator(s): VE3THX
Station: VE3THX

Class: SOSB(A)/15 LP
QTH: Toronto

   15:  194    27       84

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

Harumpf. Not what I was expecting or hoping for this year. My plan had been to
enter as SOSB(A)10m. I had started off with a good S&P rate, when I realized I
was on 15m not 10. That kinda set the tone for the rest of the weekend.

As always, CQWW-CW corresponds with a family vacation to Toronto and I'm
operating very much part-time on a small yagi with 100W. With all that said,
last year I still managed to eek out first place Canada in SOAB(A)10m LP. I
have no such illusions for this year. My total QSO count was far lower, with
150 fewer contacts in the log in 2012 than I had on 10m in 2011.

Propagation was good and I made out OK to Europe but after EU sunset, when
condx shifted to SA/Caribbean, the pileups were just too much for a little
pistol to compete, when every PY and LU had a pile. Heard lots of exotics out
of Africa and lots of JAs, but, again, the pileups were too much for this l'il
popgun to make a dent.

Part of our trip up North involves hosting a big family get-together on
Saturday night, and this year it didn't end until 5:45AM Sunday. Needless to
say, I didn't make too much hay to EU on Sunday morning, but the family and XYL
were happy, so there is that :)

So that's it for another year. Thankfully my equipment performed flawlessly and
a new operating desk meant less bumped knees and a more ergonomic operating
position. Many thanks to my host, Chris, VE3OSW, for his hospitality!