[3830] CQWW CW YU1WC SOSB(A)/40 QRP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Nov 26 13:52:03 EST 2012

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: YU1WC
Operator(s): YU1WC
Station: YU1WC

Class: SOSB(A)/40 QRP
QTH: Belgrade
Operating Time (hrs): 26:38

   40:  526    28      103

This was probably my last cqww singleband on 40 meters with my little G40 rig.
Until the last moment I was hesitating whether to run non-assisted and try to
break the national  sosb40 qrp record, or to run assisted and try to increase
my zone/dxcc count... Being always hungry for dx I opted for the second.

Alas, the propagation and luck were playing with me. After just a couple of
hours, I knew that this cqww will not be like the previous one. Small changes
in propagation have big impact for qrp stations. Some parts of the world I
worked last year, or even last week in lzdx, this time were elusive or very
very difficult. Like never before, Southeast Asia, Oceania and South America
were difficult or impossible to reach. But also, like never before, I worked
smoothly into USA and Japan.

I made a strategic error with all those multipliers. Last year, my assisted
"technique" was to keep an eye on the browser windows displaying RBN web
filtered by continents, writing down the frequencies and tuning manually. This
was slow and very inefficient, but as I realize now, I was arriving late on the
spot frequencies, just in time when the initial pileups would subside. I did
also lot of classic S&P last year. This time, however, I had N1MM set up
properly with green and red RBN spots popping up all over the bandmap. I lost
valuable time and nerves until I realized that there is no use for a qrp
station to jump on a spot as soon as it appears :)  Also, I have found again
many fine multipliers with simple S&P, and some of them were not heard at all
by RBN stations in my part of Europe!

At the end, this was great fun as always. I could not come even close to my
2011 multiplier count, but at least I managed to break the 500 qso / 100 dxcc
count, and worked 4 new dxcc (including 5T0SP in the last minute of the
contest).

rig: Genesis G40  (homemade SDR kit, 5 W)
antenna: quarterwave vertical with 2 elevated radials, on a rooftop 35 meters
high
software: GSDR, N1MM