[3830] CQWW CW K9NW(@K9UWA) SOSB/15 HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Nov 26 16:24:49 EST 2012

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K9NW
Operator(s): K9NW
Station: K9UWA

Class: SOSB/15 HP
QTH: Indiana

  160:   66    15       35
   80:  134    18       58
   40:  181    29       63
   20:   84    23       46
   15: 1495    36      130
   10:   21    12       15
------------------------------
Total: 1495    36      130  Total Score = 712,248

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Score is being submitted as 15m single band but I "dorked around" on the other
bands a bit as time and openings permitted.

K3
Alpha 87A
4/4 @ 115'/85' + 3 el SE @ 60'

I'd been thinking about doing a 10m single band in an effort to squeeze what I
could out of the band in this (so far) relatively lackluster solar cycle.  But
based on solar predictions for the weekend, as well as some time "testing" the
band the weekend before (with better numbers) I opted to go with 15m which I
figured to be a bit more reliable.  That was a good call.

Started out with a whopping 21 QSOs the first night!  It got better the next
day - quite good but still not great.  I still wasn't seeing lots of zone 16
stations but there were plenty of z14 and 15 to keep things lively.  Sunday
condx were notably better.  I was "dorking around" running JA on 40 Sunday
morning when I found 15m wide open to EU an hour before sunrise!  QSY!!!

Virtually no packet pileup battles!  With no cluster for the weekend, I never
had to think about pouncing on new mults with a few hundred others all at the
same time.  It was surprising to find some fairly rare stuff with little
competition.

At home or away, CQWW is the greatest contest out there!  It's really fun to
spend a weekend with some of the best ops in the world, all enjoying our little
subset of this great hobby.  I plan to be back at some interesing DX locale
again next year.

Thanks for the QSOs!

73, Mike K9NW